Friday, July 8, 2011

Orange Nails

My daughter Jane wanted some nail polish. It is Essie's Brazilliant. She saw it in one of her magazines and had to try it. We haunt Walgreen's since it is close and we always need a prescription filled and they carry Essie. Weeks of looking finally resulted in the Essie display with the space for the Brazilliant empty. No other color in Walgreen's large selection of various brands could match the promise of this orangey glow.
For whatever reason, my little girl, always so predictable and compliant as a child, has grown up with some surprisingly unpredictable behaviors. She had her navel pierced years before her ears. She likes expensive and radical haircuts. She chose an Air Force husband, traveling the globe instead of staying close to home. She loves teaching Middle School, and 13 year olds love her. She replaced the broken hard drive on my Macbook. She is a patient and loving mother to her very busy little girl. She wanted orange nail polish to paint her toes.
She finally found the polish, but I put it on first. My toes are the color of construction barrels, maybe brighter, and shout youth and the beach and party time. Toes that remind me that surprises are always just around the corner.

2 comments:

  1. That explains your comment to the cashier at Kroger.

    Cashier: I love your nails!
    Mom: Thanks, my fingernails are ok (whips up her feet to the counter), but these are Essie!

    Hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO glad I got to see all the nails in person. I am going right out to Walgreen's to get my own bottle. I'm going to check out Put-In-Bay Blue as well...

    ReplyDelete