Monday, June 18, 2012

Paying Full Price

I am often conflicted about how much to pay for something. When I was young, there seems not to have been so much pressure to buy things 'on sale'.  My aunt never even looked at price tags; she thought if she really liked something it didn't matter what it cost. Me, I head to the sale rack most of the time. I breeze by the pretty clothes at the front of the store, the ones in my size, the ones correct for the season in the newest colors, and somehow try to find wearables in the picked through clothes in the back of the store, the dingy ones tried on dozens of times that don't fit right. More recently, I have stopped doing that. I really liked the pretty duvet cover on the front of the Pottery Barn catalog.  I like the clothes at the front of the store. I don't want to eat reduced price meat. I get tired of ordering the less pricey meals at a restaurant, when I really want the lobster. Somehow, when I go the 'on sale' route all the time, it feels demeaning to me and to the shopkeeper. I want to feel ok about paying the full price. I can do that by realizing that I am worth what I earn, that what God gives me is a blessing. I might have to buy less, go out to eat less, but the things I buy can be truly what I need, and want. And I can bless your work too, by agreeing to pay what you have decided is a fair price. There is no conflict in that, only peace of mind.

3 comments:

  1. I went to Anthropolgie last week and while I didn't head straight for the sale room (that's right, they have a whole room!), I did find that the price of some of the items I preferred made me dislike them, if that makes sense. I was actually offended slightly that someone thought this was a fair price for a shirt, and that my money wasn't worth more to them. I guess it goes both ways, but there is no denying that you always deserve to get the lobster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just spent ALOT of money to have all my furniture reupholstered. The last time I did it was fifteen years ago. Fifteen years from now I will be where Marnie is. (God help me...) and won't need furniture. So. Amortize. I get to have fifteen years to look forward to, probably. That's actually a somewhat annoying thought, but it helps make full price purchases more bearable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live your years well, my dear sister. I love you.

      Delete