Sunday, March 20, 2011

Little Bed

I bought a toddler bed at the Mother's Exchange yesterday. It is a quality crib mattress that fits into a sturdy white plastic frame that is molded to look like wood. I bought it for my granddaughter, Collette, to sleep in when she and Jane are visiting for a month this summer. I was going to take it apart to store while waiting for June, but my husband thinks I should leave it set up. "Like a cruise countdown", he says. My cat, Bruce, already thinks it is a bed for him. I know better. It is a promise of a red headed curly top, giggling under the covers after a long day in the sun. It is iced tea and ice cream cones, sticky fingers and bare feet. Wet towels hanging from the doorknobs and bathing suits hung in the shower to dry. It is crickets and frogs making soft outdoor music, lightening bugs in jars and late night stargazing. It is missing a daddy who is in Qatar, sitting on Grandpa's lap close to the security of strong arms.
It is quiet now, my sleeping cat, a chilly night. Still, summer is coming, full of life and a little girl for this little bed.

3 comments:

  1. The imagery! I can taste it! I can't wait to catch fireflies, there aren't any here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very special woman, Amy. Thanks for the "picture"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at the scrapbook you made for Mary again while I was in Miami -- so many wonderful memories, and styles of glasses. Don't forget to get a sprinkler and a wading pool, even though you have the big girl's pool so nearby. There is something about a picnic on your own "beach" with the kitchen right nearby. And lots of funny hats.

    ReplyDelete