Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Do Something

There is a line in the movie Truman Show that I love. It is a scene where Truman (Jim Carrey) and his "wife" (Laura Linney) are fighting and she looks up at the hidden camera and says "Do Something!" Now Truman has never imagined that he lived in an artificial world, with an all seeing eye, until this moment; and from then on he sets on a path to finding out what kind of world he actually lives in. Sometimes I have felt like that...I am in a bad situation and it looks like it is only going to get worse...and I look to the all seeing eye in the sky and shout "Do Something!!" What am I expecting? The checkbook to balance, the car to start, the termites to disappear, the PET scan to be normal? I am holding in my hands the evidence of my battered life, and I want it to be all better, right now. I spent Saturday afternoon watching a live simulcast from the leadership at Partners in Health, and the stories of their service to the poor and destitute in far away places humbled me. Those ultra poor people, in their battered lives, do they look skyward and shout at the all seeing eye "Do Something?". Do they expect relief of any sort? Do they know God put it there, in our hands, as we decide whether to help them and do something...maybe not, but we do. What ever there is to do, do it all for the Glory of God, the all seeing eye... do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment