Friday, September 2, 2011

Playing with Dolls

I have a fascination for old dolls, ones made in the 1950's. These were not dolls that I played with as a child, because I was too young for these hard plastic, articulated and,then, costly dolls. I remember having a Patty Play Pal, and a Chatty Cathy, and, of course, Barbie. I liked Chatty Cathy because she had buck teeth like I did. Anyway, you can find all these old dolls on Ebay in various conditions, and for various prices. Some are new in the box, and I wonder where they have been for these past 50 years. I like to look at dolls when I am feeling sad, or worried about something. Maybe it is the reminder of the play of childhood, or the desire to have a little creature that I can manipulate however I choose. I was gathering Madame Alexander Cissette dolls a few years ago, and now it is Betsy McCall. I am selling the Cissettes on Ebay now, dressed in new little clothes that I made them, with little shoes and stockings and hats. They have imaginary lives, and go to imaginary parties all dressed up. Eternally young in face, even as the elastic that holds them together is aging and breaking and the plastic has stains and cracks. Somehow like us, yet able to keep that enigmatic expression. All it takes is a little care, and she is good as new.

No comments:

Post a Comment