Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Old Age

My father had open heart surgery on Monday. Today is Wednesday and he is now in the Cardiovascular Step Down Unit. He doesn't really know where he is yet, but he is progressing through all the hurdles required to move toward discharge and returning home. He is 86. I was not a big fan of this procedure, because I saw it as more as a hindrance to his quality of life than an asset. He was going to go into heart failure this year if he did not have the procedure but there was the risk of death as a direct result of the procedure. Looking at him today, the jury is still out as to whether this was a good choice or not. But, amazingly, he is doing almost better than my husband did when he had open heart surgery 2 1/2 years ago. Old age is surprising, frustrating, confusing, scary. It can also be wise, persistent, determined, fearless. When I was young, I thought 65 was as old as I wanted to be...but now 86 looks pretty good, even in the ICU. I underestimated the strength and vitality inherent in an old man's life. I am glad I was wrong. My old Dad still has a thing or two to say about staying power, and the courage to see things through even when the odds are changing. That is good for a daughter to know.

1 comment: