Thursday, February 17, 2011

Partners in Health

I just read a book about Dr. Paul Farmer called Mountains Beyond Mountains. It is the most inspiring book I have read in a very long time. Farmer is about my age, and has done the most wonderful work with the poor in Haiti and now Rwanda. I was starting to really believe that my work with the poor in desperate countries was over, but after reading this book I feel more than inspired. I feel that I need to get well so I can do something with the foundation he started, Partners in Health. It is a yearning to make what time I have on earth matter, that I have something to give someone who has nothing, and I can give it away. This man circles the globe, giving care, teaching, listening, spearheading projects, advocating for medical and social justice.  Striding confidently in the gifts that God has given him, constantly seeking out those that need the most help. those whose cries need to be heard. Of course, those cries are all around us, in every hospital bed and chemo chair. In every nursing home and domestic violence shelter, in every classroom and work cubicle. Can you hear them, will you help them? Try www.pih.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment