Sunday, May 29, 2011

Small Talk

We went to a lovely wedding yesterday, where we knew only a few people. This happens sometimes, a friend or coworker invites you to an event that you attend as a courtesy to the inviter, because you love them and want to celebrate with them. You sit at a table shared with strangers, all there for basically the same reason. Hopefully there are people at the table that are skilled in small talk. Otherwise the event can drag on and on, as one slowly winds their way down the buffet line, and solemnly eats the food, waiting for the cake to be cut, watching the dancing,  wondering when would be the proper time to excuse oneself and go home. I consider myself to be skilled at small talk. Maybe it's because of my years in nursing, when I had to greet a patient, a complete stranger, and put them somewhat at ease with me right before I attempted some difficult or ultra personal procedure. I also like to tell stories, and hear other people's stories. Everyone has a little button in their mind that just needs someone to push in order to break the  silence and start a conversation. Yesterday was one of those days, and in the course of the evening I met some very interesting people and had fun. I prefer to live the party, not just watch it.

1 comment: