Monday, May 16, 2011

Verbs

I am not a grammaticist. I learned this when I started taking Spanish and the grammar lessons were full of words that had to do with participles and gerunds and prepositions. I felt like I had to learn English grammar before I could learn Spanish. One thing I did learn in Spanish was the use of verbs. English speakers are lazy and use relatively few descriptive verbs. In Spanish, descriptive verbs are regularly used, and the tenses used can suggest the emotion and power behind the action. Verbs are powerful, with motion and intention,  both to express and to crush. To love, to hate, to live, to die...to fall, to rise, to lose, to win. We ride our tongue into the greatness of a day, and hope at the end of it that we have remained in the saddle, not dropped in the dust. We grieve what we said, or didn't say, when we remember someone we love who is gone. We replay conversations, our memories filling in the gaps of words, trading one for another until the actual conversation is forgotten and the sting, or the sweet, remains. Knowing the lasting power of words, choose wisely the verbs you use. Choose the ones that build and grow.
To love, to live, to rise, to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment