Friday, August 10, 2012

Waves

I have been feeling desperate to see and feel waves all summer. My little construct of a fauxcation to the beach didn't work without them, without the sounds of crashing surf and spray. The only place I knew was close was Soak City, at Kings Island. Even that seemed out of reach, as each day becomes harder to navigate with the limited energy I have. Plus, I am cheap, and didn't want to spend so much money on what would be a short day at the park. For whatever reason, however, I had it in my mind that yesterday would be the day we would go. I had had enough excuses, enough wistful looks at the sights of beach vollyball at the Olympics and the commercials of people at the ocean. So we packed our towels and sunscreen and a book or two and headed off to the park, even with the chance of rain in the forecast. It was everything I hoped, the first look at the curling waves in the Tidalwave pool brought so much joy to my heart that I didn't mind the chilly water, and swam like a little kid. The steel band played, children laughed, the waves tossed us to and fro, we took rides down Splash River. It was a wonderful day. Sunlit waves, gentle against my feet, thank you for filling this heart of mine.

2 comments:

  1. Soak City! So glad you enjoyed the last bits of summer swimmin. I love picturing you all laid out with your shades on. I know dad really had a blast too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, we feel so at home in our essential element...I love to think of you frolicking in the wave pool! Another blessed day to be retrieved at will.

    ReplyDelete