Thursday, August 2, 2012

In translation

What happens once a prayer leaves our mind, our heart, our lips and travels into the enormity of space? No matter what we asked for, or how we asked, what happens to the words? Do they take on a life and power of their own, maybe against the will of a sovereign God, and change the course of a life to an unintended consequence? Have we prayed prayers that altered history for the ill of mankind instead of the bettering, because we were only thinking of ourselves? Do we ask God what He thinks before we pray?  What happens once a prayer leaves us and goes to God? I like to think He takes them all, each one, and weaves them into beautiful words that work His will into the world. The soulful, brave and selfless prayers overwrite the selfish, cold and hateful ones and translate them into prayers that propel the global us into His ultimate destiny for us. As we live here together, sharing our resources, we must pray selfless prayers, bold prayers that lift the hearts of those that are suffering around the world. When we do this, we can expect to receive the answer for our own needs in today's blessings as He gives us all our daily bread of love, hope, faith, joy, patience and comfort.

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading that the prophet Samuel was one who could be characterized as never having one of his words fall to the ground (see 1 Samuel 3:19). I think a lot of what I say falls to the ground. I have heard it happen a couple of times in prayer when I am saying something to God and it's like He leaves that word out. One time I was feeling bad because my supervisor was upset with me. I sighed and said to God, "She is mad at ....," I was trying to say "me again." I tried several times to say it but He just would not let me finish it. He finally said, "She is mad at US." He was staying with me, still on my side, even if I had blown it again.
    Perhaps He is like a psychologist at times reflecting on the emotion we bring more than the content. "Hmmm so I am hearing that you are so devastated by what this person did that you are wishing them harm. Yes, I can see that those are very difficult feelings for you." Not at all like calling in pizza delivery, "You ordered a lightening bolt for your neighbor's house? Coming right up!" He is really listening, He really cares, and He is really in charge - not us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Your words can not change anything against the will of God. Harold Kushner describes it nicely "God is not a cosmic vending machine" i.e. put prayer in, get blessing out. If that were so, we would run the universe. My son and all our Mothers would still be alive for one thing. God has his own plans which I trust are the best for the world in the long run. I remember a church sign that said "Prayer does change things; it changes us." That might sound a bid "new age" but I really do think that positive thinking is positive for the thinker. Sometimes it's the only thing you can do for a friend and it's comforting to know that you are doing something. Depending on the friend, it might be comforting for her to know that she is in your prayers. I guess prayer is communication with God and with your own soul at the same time. Naturally you don't ask for harm to come on anyone. Would you ask a parent to harm his/her own child? My favorite prayers are for peace and strength which seem to be His specialty. :-)

    ReplyDelete