Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner

IHOP serves breakfast for dinner. Eating there feels like the day is starting instead of ending, even drinking decaf coffee. Sometimes my mother would fix breakfast for dinner, and it was always a treat. I think I like it when things are turned around. As a kid, I used to lie on my bed with my head hanging off the edge and pretend the ceiling was the floor. It was clean and uncluttered, ready for play. We would play backwards day and walk backwards up the steps and in and out of the house. Or opposite day, and we would say yes when we meant no. Today I felt turned around when I found out I have the BRCA 1 mutation that might have caused this ovarian cancer, and might have been passed down to my daughters and granddaughter. I felt the ceiling become the floor, I heard yes when I wanted no. Then I remembered I was in control of the game, and I could turn it right side up. Knowledge is power, a gift to use to make wise choices. We are a large family of women, my sisters, nieces, great nieces, daughters, granddaughter. No one else in the family might ever have to be surprised by advanced cancer. It is safe to lay my head down and imagine the obstacles disappearing and dream of pumpkin pancakes.

1 comment:

  1. pumpkin pancakes? gross. but I do love breakfast for dinner. I also like staying up all night and sleeping during the day...well, I used to...

    Information is good. Even when the info sucks:(
    and someone gave that mutation to you, and you know there was nothing they could have done....but now everyone will know and be prepared. It can be a much better situation.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete