Monday, December 6, 2010

Kindness

Sometimes I say things I wish I hadn't. My sister says I have no filter. I think I do better now than I used to, but sometimes words come out that I wish were more like Scrabble tiles than air. Then I could rearrange them and phrase the comment differently, with more kindness. At any rate, I said something about our church carpets needing cleaning to one of our staffers. The staff decided to rent carpet cleaning machines today, and recruit volunteers to do the work. Since I made the observation about the need to clean, I felt that I should volunteer. Somewhat grudgingly, as I had another event I wanted to go to tonight instead. I drove to the church from a long day at work, not looking forward to several hours of wrestling a big and messy carpet cleaner around the church basement. When I arrived at the empty parking lot, I sighed. Would I have to do this alone?  Inside the dark church lobby were the two large machines...but tucked inside the wrapped cord was a note that said: "All rooms and hallways are done". I walked all over the building and down to the basement, just to see with my own eyes the kindness that someone else had done all the work. My Scrabble tiles now say: Thank you whoever you are!

1 comment:

  1. aww. that was sweet. i wish the carpet fairy would come to my house and give it a good cleaning too. Oh, and I have also been known to lack a filter....I think that's what makes us funny. people think we are funny.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete