Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Golden Hours Part 2

Defining the value of golden hours has provided many hours of thoughtful conversation. I wish I had done this years ago, but perhaps the idea of golden hours is lost on youth. I was making a list of what comprised a golden hour event, and could only come up with maybe a dozen or so. In the ensuing conversations with friends and family, I decided the overarching definition of such an hour is that it must be restorative. To be restorative, it must be either enjoyable, rejuvenating, inspiring, meditative, or provide a feeling of accomplishment.  Of course, it could be all of these. So, then, certain things that were not originally on my list could be looked at in a different way to make the list. Like cleaning the bathroom. If I feel that the most restorative hour today would be one that provided a feeling of accomplishment, then I must choose something that can be completed within that hour. That could be cleaning the bathroom. I first must know what I need most, be it inspiration, joy etc. Then I must choose the purposeful activity that will provide that. My list is still fairly short, but I put neatness and clean-ness, and doing something nice for someone on it. Now it is infinite, and timeless, and wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, including "cleaning the bathroom" into your qualifying activities for a golden hour is like walking into a store and thinking, "gee, that's a nice trash can". :) Golden hour doesn't equal golden years! Keep it light, and satisfying, a great golden rule. I love you bunches

    ReplyDelete