Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The United States Health Care System

Funny title for ice cream, but this is, by far, one of the best ice cream flavors around. I had cataract surgery yesterday and it was the most simple procedure. Everything went smooth as silk and in less than 2 hours I was on my way home with a new right lens. For free. I have been in many developing countries where this is type of surgery is beyond a dream, it is a fantasy. Folks with eye filling cataracts line up to see the doctors and nurses at our rudimentary clinic,  hoping for restoration of even a tiny bit of sight.  Their ability to support themselves has ended, and they must beg or borrow their food for the day. But not me, I just strolled in and strolled out of a state of the art eye care facility, temperature controlled, modern comfy beds, perfect anesthesia so I did not feel a thing. It almost seems inhumane how other folks have no hope for something we have plenty of. I know that our system is costly and financially broken and the long term prognosis is bleak for continuing on our current path. But yesterday that didn't matter much to me. I got what I needed. I grieve for the people I remember in Honduras, Nicaragua, Sudan and elsewhere who, right this minute, cannot see, cannot hope to see. I am more than grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment