Thursday, April 14, 2011

Happy Face

It takes an inordinate amount of effort to rise above certain of life's circumstances. It is like lashing together a raft, in a torrential downpour, to bring yourself across raging water to a safer shore. To some, it may seem like an unnecessary chore. Stay on this side of the river, feel the rain, never mind the cold and the mud that seems to be dragging you under. Feel the defeat, we will understand. Oh no, not defeat. It will not take me. I will construct a raft, I will lash together what I have left of strength. I will put my happy face on. I don't want to feel the pain, or the heat of tears or grieve my lost days. I want to run the rapids and stay afloat, I want to see where I have to go. I want to plant my feet on solid ground again. Until that day, I will dress in colors, running my happy little raft flags up the pole. Share that ride with me when you can. I am always glad for the company. But don't let me cry, then I can't see where I am going. Put on your happy face.

1 comment:

  1. Mom, this is lovely and deep and poetry! I wouldn't mind this on the wall.

    ReplyDelete