Saturday, April 9, 2011

Project Congo

I walked my first ever 5K today, to support a project I  found out about in March. A woman named Sylvia, an ER doctor in Dayton, has made it her mission to assist a small medical clinic in Goma, a refugee city in the Democratic Republic of Congo. She assists mainly by raising awareness, encouraging donations of money, medicine and medical equipment to help the 6 Congolese staff members of the clinic attend to the needs of thousands of refugees in the area. You can see the amazing things that have been done in Goma since Dr. Sylvia got involved  by visiting the website: www.projectcongo.org.  What can one person do to impact the huge problems destroying lives in our world...well, you can see with your own eyes what one person can do. One person can tell another person, who tells another person, all pooling resources of time, money, expertise and hope to bring that construct to restore lives. I noticed that only 1355 visitors have been on Project Congo's website...maybe 200 people were running/walking the 5K today. So it doesn't really take very many people to make a very big difference. There is so much to do.

1 comment:

  1. I've got my first 5K on Thursday! Yipes! I wish it was for a good cause...but mostly it's just a way for Mercedes to get business and "promote workplace fitness". Lame

    ReplyDelete