Friday, February 17, 2012

Back seat/Front seat

We were sitting around with our girls when they were younger, and I asked them when they felt the most cozy. Jane said "When we are sitting in the back seat of the car, eating Taco Bell, driving in the dark when it is raining." My husband and I looked at each other, thinking the same thing; that for the driver that was the exact opposite of cozy. Nose pressed almost to the windshield, straining to see, wipers flailing away the dirty spray from passing semis, precious cargo in the backseat. It is like that when you are a grown up, where you could once relax you now have to steer. Where you could watch TV until called to dinner, you now have to shop and cook and clean it all up. We can't go back to the back seat. In 1 Corinthians chapter 13 verse 11 Paul put it this way: 'When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned like a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.' He means he moved to the front seat. When I was a child, that meant I could control the radio. As an adult, it means you have to control it all...your speed, your brakes, map your route, listen to directions, mind the weather, the road, other drivers. It may not be cozy in the front seat, but it is where we need to be to go where God wants us to go. Nose pressed almost to the windshield, following Him.

1 comment: