Sunday, February 12, 2012

The desire of your heart

I love Valentine's Day, probably one of my favorite celebrations. The hearts and flowers are so welcome in the dead of winter, a reminder that life is full and blessed. Handmade cards, little trinkets, conversation hearts, hugs and kisses, all coming from those who love you. The desire of our heart, to be loved. In the Bible, God tells us that he will give us the desire of our heart, if we delight in Him. (Psalms 37). Most times we could look at that verse and think of God like a genie, rub the lamp just so and our wishes would be granted. What would you wish for? Expensive things? Better looks? Smarter? It probably wouldn't be paper cards, sticky with paint and glue, with crooked letters misspelling Valentine in every way imaginable. But the real desire of our hearts is only met in something that simple. God knows this. If we give Him our love, He returns love to us from every direction. We find ourselves surrounded by acts of kindness, words of encouragement, little hands in ours, snuggly evenings. In the heart of each person is a song to be heard. Delight in the Lord, he will give you bouquets of spring flowers, conversations with friends, a song, a hope. A paper heart in a little envelope, signed I love you.

1 comment:

  1. We totally didn't do Valentintines Day the way we did at home. I missed the cards and candy, but that's a tradition I suppose I'll need to build on my own with my new life. It's interesting that some things don't just happen the way you expect. A nice dinner and some good conversation was a wonderful way to celebrate, but I will always love remembering the raps, tiny pieces of paper, and the spider that guarded the box year after year.

    ReplyDelete