Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Whitney

My daughter reminded me a few days ago about The Preacher's Wife soundtrack. I forgot how great it was. She remembered one song, Somebody Bigger, that I adapted to puppets. I edited it to make it shorter and made puppets out of stuffed toys that the girls used to "act out" the song. We performed this song several times to the folks who attended the monthly outreach our church made to the homeless and mentally ill. At the event, we sang a few songs, sometimes with puppets, someone preached, we prayed for those that wanted prayer, then went on to a hot meal of comfort foods and distribution of clothing and groceries. I am glad my daughter remembered the song and the puppets and the gift we gave to people who lived their lives largely feeling forgotten. I imagine Whitney never once thought that her song would be the basis of a very amateur performance in an old church in Hamilton. I imagine that she had no idea that 2 young girls would memorize every word of it, little sweaty hands holding heavy puppets, eager to do a good job. She wouldn't have known that her gift was being shared with some folks who needed to hear about a big God. I hope she knows now. I know one person who is grateful for Whitney. Me.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, totally forgot about that! Just had to go to YouTube to hear the song again and it stirred up so many memories. Thank you mom and Jane for this.

    ReplyDelete