Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lionhearted

My husband completes his 28th and final radiation treatment tomorrow. We are both tired. This has been a grueling 9 months for both of us. It is hard to watch someone you love bow beneath the weight of pain and suffering. He does not complain. He takes his medicine, he takes care of the laundry, he cleans up the kitchen. On a nice day he sometimes flies his planes. When we started our lives together, we really did not know ourselves or each other very well. We could always make each other laugh, we shared dreams and hopes for our future. We did not always know how to be supportive of each other in the hard times, when jobs got stressful, or children pushed us to overload. But we learned what to say, and what not to say. We learned to listen without comment and sometimes, when it was permitted, we gave advice. My husband is much better at this than I am. He sets the bar very high when it come to listening skills and patience in advice giving. Sometimes when I talk about our marriage to single people, they say "You got lucky". I don't agree with this, because a marriage takes hard work for both people, but I do agree that my husband is a special person. His strength is that of a lion, with a heart of gold.

1 comment:

  1. ...and I'm very happy to host him in Miami this week. He is already taking it very slow and enjoying the tropical vibe. It was a great compliment when Marnie said she thought Eric reminded her of Dad. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete