Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Driving away

I made a new friend during one of my chemo sessions a month or so ago. Her name is Tara and she has a very agressive form of cancer that had spread just about everywhere when she was finally diagnosed. She is only 30 something. We talked about all kinds of things while we were getting chemo, one of the things was cremation jewelry. I had met a lady once who had a little urn around her neck and when I asked her about it, she told me it was the remains of her son. I was amazed. I told Tara this story, because I thought it was a novel idea, and I had bought a couple of little glass urns, just toying with the idea of memorializing something. Not necessarily myself. Anyway, yesterday Tara called me because she is now in hospice and wanted me to help her find the website for some cremation jewelry she could buy for her children, to put her remains in, for them to remember her. I went to the hospice with my computer and we spent the better part of two hours picking out just the right little pendants for them, that have tiny screws in the back, and little funnels to help put the ashes in. Then I drove home. I realized that, even though I have cancer, I can still drive away from the worst of it. I did not spend today in a hospice bed. I flew to Arizona to see my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment