Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Naps

I was never a nap fan. When I was a little girl, my mother used to make us take naps every afternoon. I just pretended to sleep. Sometimes she would bribe us with a new toy. I wanted an Olive Oyl doll (from the Popeye cartoon), which she got me when I agreed to take a nap with her. I used to play a little game with metal hair clips on my fingers, pretending they were crippled and walking over the sheets.  I imagine my mother was exhausted taking care of 4 children under the age of 6. Nap time was a chance for her to take a break for an hour or so. I took a nap today, since I was feeling the effects of chemo on Monday. I slept for 4 hours, not one. I didn't need to fake sleep, it came readily. It was quite enjoyable, really, as the afternoon slipped into evening and suppertime and knitting group. There is research on the benefits of napping. I can agree that today it was a wonderful medicine. Now since the day is ending, I will crawl back under the covers and let myself continue to rest and heal.

1 comment:

  1. sleeping is my favorite hobby! Its funny because I too used to not like naps when I was little. I felt like I was missing out on something. I used to hate to go to bed at night and hate to get up in the morning. That quote came off my peanuts bathrobe. Then high school hit and I've been a sleeper ever since. Sleep makes everything better. its the simplest all natural medicine there is and even a great diet plan. I love sleep.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete