Friday, November 5, 2010

Heaven

I am glad there is Heaven. I can't imagine living in this world thinking that there is no God, no grace, no redemption, no forgiveness, no hope, no Heaven. My friend Tara went there last night. She is the fourth woman that I knew who has died of a gynecological cancer this year. I feel the weight of this ruthless disease that seeks to crush our spirit and destroy our faith. But Heaven is impossible to destroy. Where Heaven is, is peace and joy and freedom from pain. Everything is made right, we see clearly those things that were hazy. We connect with the Trinity of God, and the multitude of others that have arrived before us, and come alive in a real and lasting way. The bible talks about Heaven a lot, in both old and new testaments. God wants us to know that this life is a vapor, dust, a flower that blooms then fades. Heaven is eternal, beautiful, full of light and life, singing and eating at a banquet table. Heaven resides in our hearts always, a prayer, a song, a future and a hope. Sing your song, Tara. Have some ice cream. Save me a place by you.

1 comment:

  1. Heaven is a part of faith that I haven't spent much time pondering because it seems so fantastical -- maybe just part of my general belief that I don't deserve much more than i already have, for which I am so grateful. You mean, I get heaven, too??? Seems like way more than I deserve. Seems like I decided a long time ago that it wasn't for me. Not that I think I am going to Hell -- I guess it is pretty self (with a small "s") centered to think this life is all there is...I suppose I need to wonder about heaven more.

    ReplyDelete