Monday, November 1, 2010

Reverie

My sister visited me this past weekend. She is 13 months older than I am, and lives in California. We didn't do too much...sat in my living room and knit, mostly. And talked. It was wonderful. It hasn't always been this way. Years ago, we didn't always connect in positive ways. Sometimes we would say things that hurt each others' feelings. We would bring up dusty and worthless memories of our childhood that could still sting. We don't do that anymore. We both lead very busy lives, yet, this past weekend, we mutually decided to put everything aside and relax. She cooked yummy leek soup and we ate pumpkin pie and whipped cream. I helped her finish a sweater she started a year ago, and oohed and aahed over how beautiful it was. We bought each other Christmas gifts at Pottery Barn. We even visited the farm and walked through the crisp fallen red leaves of the sugar maples. We have found a comfortable friendship. Another gift of years, the chance to savor the days we have, a sweet reverie of our best selves.

2 comments:

  1. I love my little sister always and forever. I wouldn't be the me I am without you, and I am so grateful that you have been part of my life for all but the first boring empty Amy-less first thirteen months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sisters live in town and I see them almost every Sunday evening at our family dinner. My little sister and I have always been close even though our ages are the furthest apart. But my older sister and I have more battle scars over the years. It's been better since we've become adults and now that we both have children, we have become even closer. I know it worries my mother because she has one sister who won't talk to her anymore, and one that she's close to. She worries what will become of us once she is gone. Right now family dinners keep us all together. I think we will be fine. It will be something we need to work on for sure, especially making time for each other, but hopefully we will continue sunday night dinners even after my parents are gone, which is not anytime soon anyway.

    also, sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a sister who lived out of town so we could go stay at her house for a week or weekend. I would think staying with someone at their house would make you closer as well. And I think it would be fun. Just curious.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete