Monday, November 8, 2010

Hoarders

What does Hoarders have to do with ice cream? Actually quite a lot. I discovered this show by accident, during one of my meanderings through the internet. I am fascinated by the episodes I watched online. I wondered if I was a hoarder before I watched it, and think now that I would have been if not for my neat as a pin husband. My sewing room is my one hoard room. I totally understand saving things "in case you need them someday" and not getting around to fixing things that are broken. It is a difficult task to throw things away that I really am not ever going to use. It is only slightly better to give them away. I think everyone should watch at least one bit of the show, just to understand mental illness a little better. The dirty cluttered house is a window into the soul of the broken person that lives there. Instead of judging, the show tries to understand what has happened to the person that blinds them to the filth of the place they call home. Maybe we could all learn to be so compassionate that we can provide the comfort to others that they crave from the possessions they cannot let go of. Give something away today that you have been "saving", and feel the freedom to invest in something more valuable...like a friend.

2 comments:

  1. we've seen that show on netflix. we saw one where the poor woman grew up without a lot of food and things that they needed, so she tried to keep everything to be "reused", but the grossest part was she couldn't throw food away. She kept spoiled food. Her poor kitchen and frig was so gross and smelly...they had to wear masks and people kept throwing up. At one point her son who was like 25 said he'd take her to the store and buy all new food if she would let them throw it all away. It was sad.
    My husband is a pitcher. He used to pitch things and I would wonder where they were, and he would be like I didn't think we needed it so I threw it away. He's calmed down a little bit, but it took me a long time to convince him to donate stuff to good will. He was like, no one wants our junk. But I would say, leave it out next to the dumpster (when we lived in an appartment) and see if anyone takes that lamp or those shelves, or that perfectly good table. And they were always gone in a few hours. He was always amazed that someone would want it. Anyway, that's how I am the opposite of a hoarder. I like to get rid of stuff. Partly because I like my house very neat and tidy, and partly because I imagine someone out there needs the thing that I haven't used in like a year or so.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our mother used to throw away the morning paper before breakfast. She was not a keeper, and when she had to move out of her one bedroom apartment and into the nursing home she took hardly any possessions. Amy has always been a keeper. I shared a room with her a few times so I know what was under her bed...Her sewing room today is her own big girl version of under her bed when she was little. Once when I went to visit her we cleaned it all up. She said it lasted about two weeks.
    I am a writer so my clutter is all neatly digital. My big girl version of under my bed is my laptop. and 139 un-deleted emails (which is actually a low number).

    ReplyDelete