Wednesday, November 3, 2010

PET Scan

Not that anyone needs all the complicated medical information that is so redundant in my life, but today I got the results of the PET scan I had done on Monday to see what is going on with the tumor that is living in the right side of my pelvis. The test showed that the tumor is half the size it was 3 months ago, and about 2/3 less active. Now this is good news to me. I have learned to take such information as it is presented, and not read into it. It is a snapshot in time, on a certain day, in a certain machine, and interpreted by a certain radiologist. It is not prophecy. It cannot predict the future. I see the words on the paper and hear my doctor translate it into: one more cycle of chemo, then monthly treatments with one of the drugs. We are in uncharted waters. Not many women with advanced ovarian cancer get to this place, where the promise of many months spreads out before me. The treatment plans being made are forged in a scientific faith, with no hard data to go by. Yet, I feel like I have been given one more season to relish the life and lives that have been entrusted to me, and for that I am grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Amy: I am so happy for you and know Rich will be happy as well to hear this news when he returns from Madagascar. You are a wonderful person.....Kath

    ReplyDelete
  2. good news! SO happy for you. So in your playing to win analogy, is this like being up at half time?
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete