Monday, September 13, 2010

Cast your bread upon the waters

I have read the bible enough times that, in passing conversation, scriptures pop into my head and I might even quote them imperfectly to whoever I am talking to. Today was one of those times. I had the casting your bread part right, but not the rest of it. So, of course, I had to look it up. Cast your bread upon the waters is part of the first verse of Ecclesiastes, chapter 11. Now this is not the happiest book in the bible, by any means. It is actually quite sobering. But, since the verse popped into my head, I decided to study the rest of the chapter. The subtitle of the chapter in my bible is: The Value of Diligence. Amazingly, it seemed all to do with playing to win. So, since I wanted to stay on that theme, I went to United Dairy Farmers and bought gift cards for two of my cancer fighting friends. I am hoping they will enjoy some ice cream, since UDF makes pretty much the best ice cream around. I put the cards in the mail, casting my bread on the water.  It felt like a special obedience to the God of the Universe. Let's see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. In due time you will reap sister! God rewards those who are giving of the ice cream. Although, your describing udf as the best around is scaring me a little. In the carton, maybe, but definitely not if scooped out by a less-than-clean employee and with ice chunks and freezer burn. but, to prove my point, I think a field trip to graeter's is in order.

    and I commend your ability to quote a bible verse and know the chapter and where to actually find it. even if its a little off. I would quote something and have no idea where to find it to see if it was right! (i know you can still look it up, but you know what i mean) and I think its amazing that with all you have on your plate, you are still able to take care of those around you. It makes me think "what have I done today to make someone's life better?" You have really inspired me to want to make each day count, to make a difference in the world. Its so easy to get bogged down with to-do lists and daily chores...I'm going to think on that and pray about that as I fall asleep tonight.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete