Thursday, September 16, 2010

Swimming Laps

Yes, even exercise can be ice cream. I swam laps at our gym for the first time in 3 years. I have lots of reasons as to why this was, but decided that today I had had enough of those reasons. I like to swim laps, it is somehow a way I ponder the day. And I like to sit in the dry sauna after swimming to warm back up, as the water is not my perfect temperature. So, today I was swimming and thinking about how I used to swim laps as a kid. Our club was small, but mighty. We would swim in meets in the summer, a rag tag bunch of super skinny kids, with a couple of ringers in our group that made our team successful. I was not a ringer. I swam butterfly because no one else wanted to and I could usually win a medal for third place at least. (See post Playing to Win for an explanation of my strategy on life's games. I started young.) The best thing about the meets was eating jello right out of the box. Sugary sweetness in the palm of your hand, licking huge tonguefuls, for energy we said. I don't know if kids do that anymore.
Tonight I didn't eat jello out of the box, instead I sat in the sauna and remembered it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment