Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Knitting

Knitting is easily one of the best ways to relieve stress. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for me. I learned how to knit when I was maybe 9, my aunt was a fabulous knitter and thought I was old enough to knit a sweater. She bought me beautiful sky blue wool yarn and silver needles and taught me the stockinette stitch. I worked on that sweater, off and on, for 7 or 8 years. Finally I decided to finish it without sleeves, so I made it a vest and actually wore it a few times. It was much too small, having started as a sweater for a 9 year old. I didn't knit again for a long time. Knitting seemed too technical and exact and excruciatingly slow. I don't really remember when or how it happened, but one day I decided to use my canvas paintbrush holder as a knitting needle holder. And I filled every slot. I have made a dozen pairs of socks, hats, mittens, sweaters, too many scarves to count. Now I have taught knitting to my friends. When we get together to knit we also share part of our lives, as the needles clack away, talking of children and husbands and lost jobs and found jobs and hard days and fun days. What we create we will give away, each item carrying in every stitch the relief that comes in having caring friends. Who knit.

1 comment:

  1. aaww. I love this one. Truely a group of friends to be thankful for :)

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete